Richard Stankiewicz was born to Polish parents in Philadelphia in 1922. After his father’s death, he moved with his mother to Detroit where he spent his formative years. He lived near a foundry dump and used to make playthings from scraps. Stankiewicz began painting and sculpting while serving in the US Navy from 1941 to 1947. Upon his return, he moved to New York where he studied with the abstract expressionist painter Hans Hofmann. In 1950 and 1951, he lived in Paris and studied with Fernand Léger and Ossip Zadkine.
He returned to New York and in 1952, became a member of the cooperative Hansa Gallery where he exhibited in 1953. Throughout the 1950s, he participated in numerous shows, including at the Whitney Museum, the Venice Biennale and the Contemporary Arts Museum in Houston. In 1962, Stankiewicz moved to Huntington, Massachusetts and continued to exhibit his work internationally until his death in 1983. Group and solo exhibitions of his work are still held in famous institutions such as the Whitney Museum in New York, the Museum Tinguely in Basel and his work is presented in various international galleries and art fairs.
49.5 x 40.5 x 40.5 cm