Born in Bern in 1944, Balthasar Burkhard was an internationally-renowned Swiss photographer. During his apprenticeship, he studied photography with Kurt Blum, acclaimed for his reportages for the illustrated press as well as for his experimental artistic works. In 1965, Burkhard opened his own studio and worked closely with the curator Harald Szeemann as a documentary photographer for the Kunsthalle in Bern. He portrayed numerous artists and developed a taste for contemporary art. He received international attention in 1969 with the exhibition of large-format photographs on canvas that he produced with the artist Markus Raetz. He moved to the USA and was appointed visiting lecturer of photography at the University of Illinois in Chicago from 1976 to 1978.
He returned to Switzerland in 1982 and continued to collaborate with other artists and exhibit his work widely. He moved to France for a few years and taught at the Fine Arts School in Nimes from 1990 to 1992. In 1995, Burkhard returned to Switzerland, travelling only to realise his ambitious projects. He died in Bern in 2010. Between 2017 and 2018, he had a major retrospective touring the Museum Folkwang in Essen, the Fotostiftung Schweiz and the Fotomuseum in Winterthur, and the Museo d’arte della Svizzera italiana in Lugano.
Ed. of 7
220 x 230 cm
Ed. of 7
125 x 250 cm