John M Armleder is an internationally renowned figure and one of the most influential artists on the Swiss scene. Born in Geneva in 1948, he enrolled at the city’s École des Beaux-Arts and went on to found the Écart group with Patrick Lucchini and Claude Rychner in 1969. Close to the concerns of the Fluxus movement, Écart refused to acknowledge any barrier between art and life and was at the center of one of the most important alternative spaces in Europe in the 1970s, creating a gallery, a bookshop and a publishing house for artist’s books, all under the same name, in 1972–73. These activities continued for seven consecutive years.
In 1986 Armleder’s standing was consolidated when he was given the Swiss Pavilion at the Venice Biennale. Over the last forty years his works have featured in numerous international exhibitions and biennales (Paris, Venice, Sydney, Lyon, Ljubljana, Busan, Valencia, Shanghai), as well as in PROSPECT in Frankfurt, Documenta IX in Kassel, Toyama Now in Japan and the 1992 world’s fair in Seville. In 2006 Mamco put on a big retrospective of his work titled “Amor Vacui, Horror Vacui” and he has received commissions for several pieces of public art from the State of Geneva (Collège de Drize, 2010, Cornavin railway station, 2018).
Collage and dispersion on paper
46 x 39 cm
Drum kit on painted base
160 x 200 x 200 cm